Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Planning gone awry

Sweaters are best knit in the winter. Hopefully, you can finish them in a timely fashion to be worn while the weather is still cold. And as they near completion that large knitted object acts like a blanket in your lap!

Sweaters should not be knit in the summer.

Plans can go awry. This is why I still have the button band to finish on cloudberry cardigan when the temperature is starting to rise above 80 degrees. Best laid plans.

But isn't it starting to look done? The deadline for completion is August 5th. That is the date by which I must drop the sweater off at the state fair for judging.

Notes on how I shall finish: a hemmed button band with scalloped edge and button holes is not something I've made before. It's intimidating, and I'm not sure I can explain how to do it well enough to put it in a pattern. Oh well. The gist is: knit a few rows and place the button hole stitches on waste yarn. Finish the row, as I go the other direction (probably the WS) I shall provisional cast on for the stitches on the waste yarn. Once I finish the RS of the hem I shall do the picot and turn. On the wrong side I will pick up the provisional cast on to bind off those stitches. Picking up the stitches on waste yarn I will use those as live stitches on the following row.

I fully intend to embroider around the button holes to reinforce them. I'm also crossing my fingers that this method works.

 

Be excellent to each other!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment