Friday, July 19, 2013

Expanding the collection...

Let me introduce the newest member in my knitting family...

No given name yet, but called a Brother K840

I haven't named it yet, but it will be the stallion in my herd of knitting accessories and machines.

The decision to buy a knitting machine percolated for years before the capital to realize my dream materialized. My desire for this machine is driven by two forces: first, the knowledge that tendons in my hands are damaged and only capable of so much fiddly work (damage which cannot be undone only managed and improved somewhat). Second, that the small budget of a budding designer does not include sample knitters and the first samples must be made by me. Also, that it is possible to have more ideas for designs than time in which to finish them all. The large stockingette chunk of sweater can be designed in two seconds, and knit over a week or more on needles. Presto machine, now stockingette sweater is done in 30 minutes! (Or more, this post does not presume to give accurate details on the time and energy involved in machine knitting.)

Ideals aside for a moment, I'm pumped about learning this machine. For the first time while knitting I am taking lessons ... Which are prompting me forward through these new techniques must faster than anticipated.

Second little learning sock on machine, first of the pair in this yarn.

To the right is the second sock (little Christmas ornament sized sock) made on the machine. The first was in an awful, or awesome, hunters orange. The mate to this lovely little sock is waiting to be seemed (something I also learned to do using the machine). The whole sock probably took an hour, including seaming. And the second went faster.

The real learning curve, for me, isn't the pattern directions or the techniques. It is the mechanics of the machine. Suddenly, there are moving parts and wand looking things instead of two straight sticks. Tension is controlled by something that looks like bug antenna, and it must be right or the whole thing gets gummed up.

On the second sock I learned how to pick up dropped stitches, fixed an improper crochet seam and hide my mistakes.

Some people think this machine will help me use more of my stash to make more things.

Some people didn't quite understand that now cotton yarn is needed to make dishcloths. I'm going shopping this weekend!

Oh, and advice: if you plan to buy a machine - read everything you can find first, buy used, and if possible buy from someone in your area that might have other services like lessons or repairs too! Even if you think you know everything, there is still so much to learn!

 

Be excellent to each other!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment