Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Stylin' gloves....

My first goal in life is to be fashionable. Which is why I own embroidered overalls, a snood, and a one fish two fish t-shirt. Sometimes I go out on a limb and wear silk skirts, cute flats, and wrap around shirts that accentuate the waist I create by biking to work.

Matching my therapeutic gloves to my outfit is always a challenge. Do I want the glove to match? How much sympathy or questions do I wish to inspire? Is the wrist soar and aching, in need of extra support?

I've found three good styles for the therapeutic gloves I use.

From left to right:

Far left - crafting gloves are great for giving my hands extra support whilst I k3tog or cruise back and forth in stockingette. But, does a person always want to sport orange hands everywhere? If orange is your color, and you can feel the tingle that means a flare up might be a few days away - spend some time in these. They often remind me to adjust how I use my hands or to take a break.

The middle - wrap around Velcro section adds a great amount of support whilst the neutral color blends seamlessly with most outfits. The only drawback is that extra support is not ideal for k3tog. No lace with this glove. However, it is my go to biking glove. Supports my wrist from the pressure of holding the bars and breaths much better than an immobilizer.

The far right - if you wish to attract attention and garner sympathy form onlookers, this big black immobilizing brace is perfect. For those days when the joint is aching and just a touch painful - the aching heat radiating out - this glove is perfect. Recently, my husband spent some time in the ER with a dislocated elbow. Much more serious than my tendonitis. But after speaking with my husband the nurse at admissions turned towards myself, pointed to the big black wrist brace, and inquired whether I needed to see someone. Now poor husband and I can coordinate our big immobilizes when we go out to dinner. We are the best dressed anywhere we go!

Now for the exciting news: at my school a teacher discarded an old Guess Who game. Following the idea of blogger Karen Kavett on her blog, I'm going to make a Doctor Who guess who game! Get ready friends, brush up on your original episodes, Doctors 1-8 are included!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment