Tuesday, December 31, 2013

4x4= gauge math

I don't know of a single knitter that loves the gauge swatch. I'm sure many knitters have the same problem with swatches that I've experienced:
1. Once complete and blocked, math done, and you cast on ... the math was wrong and you have to rip and start over.
2. Not blocking the swatch will not give accurate numbers either ... But I often have better luck unblocked. Weird
3. If you don't swatch and only go by the stitches/inch measure given on the yarn ... Then you may not match the pattern and it's still off.
Sigh.
I've gotten around gauge swatch most of my knitting career by designing the sweater pattern myself or only appropriating parts of another designers pattern and still making up the math for mine as I go.
Cloudberry cardigan is progressing nicely. One sleeve is almost done and ready to attach, and the yarn for the other sleeve is almost done spinning ... In this calm and pleasant time of knitting I began contemplating the arduous task ahead. Writing up the pattern.
As I don't often follow gauge swatches myself, I wonder at my ability to write a gauge swatch or alternate instructions for a pattern. Even if the pattern is fairly simplistic and easily adjusted. So, here is the swatch...
It is 32 stitches across by about 50 rows high (that does not include the 20 rows that are the turned hems seen in the back. It is 5x5" which means that it should be 6 stitches per inch when I cast on. Wrong wrong wrong. When I first cast on for a 38" round sweater (a nice large) I had 220 stitches going round. I knit the hem and then did a 'test' measure of the piece. 44"! GAH!
Starting over I decided to use 5 stitches per inch, which should have been 190 stitches at cast on. But I cast on 180 stitches to be increased by 6-8 at each armpit creating a slightly larger upper body for the yoke. Yes, this is a slightly smaller sweater, at only 36" around - but that doesn't include the 1" front edge for the buttons. Incorporated into this 'fuzzy' math was the knowledge that the sweater is going to stretch really really well when blocked.
Instead of having as sweater with positive ease (larger than my body measurements) I actually have a -1 ease. It will be a nice snug little sweater - not the larger sweater I was afraid of creating.
Now I only have to be afraid that it doesn't stretch as much as I want and I can't wear it. Poop.

To distract myself I started more spinning - probably for the sweater, but I feel really smart.
See those two balls? They are each 1oz of fiber. Each one will be spun and then plied together. My hope is that I will be much closer to having bobbins that contain the same yardage if they start with the same number of ounces. Wishes and horseshoes ...

Be excellent to each other!

No comments:

Post a Comment