Friday, December 13, 2013

Knit till you drop ...

I'm hoping this is a figurative phrase for my day. Tonight is Drunken Knit Night at my favorite pub with some of my favorite ladies! But this means we are drinking and knitting at the same time! Oh my!

I've thankfully brought two projects with: one which must be finished by Christmas and the other is straight stockingette going back and forth. Both projects carry their own knit till you drop hazards. The Christmas project includes cables which is more difficult with my tendonitis - so my hands may stop knitting from the swelling. The stockingette is a large amount of stockingette for a sweater ... Which still requires another 700 yards to be spun for completion.

So, let me digress. The cardigan comes along well. I've got about 14" done on the main body. I just joined my second ball of yarn, the next 400 yards. I only had 1100 yards spun for this project - and upon joining the second ball determined that it was TOO THIN! Somehow I spun lace weight and thought it would pass as fingering ... Which it won't in such a large project as this with multiple skeins.

See that section beneath my finger that looks a little thin compared to the rest? Hmm ... Lace weight.

So, lesson learned. Not only will I spin all the yarn required before I begin a project. But I will also check on a yarn gauge what weight it has become!

Really, the project has a lot of great yarn variability. When I spin I leave the bumps and fluffy sections in that create slightly large stitches occasionally. I love the resulting look. It feels much less machine made ... And has that air of handmade love and hugs.

Here's the skein I ended up using and eventually practicing my photography with ...

In sum: my fingers may fall off from too many cables, too much spinning ... Or being a bit punchy at knit night tonight. We'll see.

Be excellent to each other!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment