Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Spring break

This week is spring break at school. In Minnesota it is possible to tell that spring break has arrived by two things:

1. Nothing really productive gets done as one is taking a break.

2. Spring is taking a break because a blizzard hits the state.

My break today involved a two hour nap with the cat. And ignoring the snow that needed shoveling outside.

The real work today that I've been avoiding is heading down to the coffee shop to start (continue) writing these sweater patterns so hopefully they can be tested someday. I'm chugging along with the elephant sweater and really trying to make an effort to finish the sleeves for cloudberry.

The sleeves move slowly. The positive part is that I learned how to do magic loop - I hereby pledge that I will never make just one sleeve at a time ever again! Plus that sock thing for holding the yarn (one in the calf end and the other put in the inverted toe end)a nifty trick!
Now the elephant sweater ...

I probably have 10 rows left of the elephant colorwork and then an edging. After that I make the yoke and decide whether to do the collar and button band at the same time ... I think yes. I like mitered corners.

The heft and sock yarn weight are taking their toll on my hand. I had to ice yesterday, twice. Today I did the ice bath dunking - which I will repeat for the next few days to ensure that all this knitting doesn't inflame the tendon sheath. Thank goodness for that ice bath. I knit for several hours yesterday and more today. Yes my wrist is tired. But there were times in the past that much knitting would have me pouting for a week.

The current ice bath recipe:

5 gallon bucket filled with two cooler sized ice packs and water.

Dunk hands (past wrists) for 10 seconds every 10 minutes for an hour and a half or six times, whichever comes first.

After each dunking dry hands on microfiber cloth and apply lotion to prevent hands from clapping unduly.

 

And I will knit another day!

Be excellent to each other!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment