Wednesday, May 7, 2014

New & repeat lessons

Yarnover was a blast, and then somewhere around lunch my mind was done. It had been an epic week: game night, friend dinner, Yarnover dinner, Yarnover, and then a concert the night of Yarnover. Uffda!

At Yarnover I took Andrea Wong's Introduction to Portugeuse Knitting. The idea was to add another technique of knitting to my arsenal to help stave off tendonitis flare ups. The class was fabulous! The women asked fabulous questions (like how to do more lace techniques and different cast on) and Andrea herself was fun and a joy to learn from. The most complicated bit was tensioning without using the index finger. You tension by slipping the yarn on a hook on a pin attached to your shoulder.

That gets easier with practice, which I have been doing almost everyday for a few rows. I'm not sure if I've released stress on my tendons using this style, but time will tell.

Portuguese knitting was the new thing I learned.

The lesson I've repeated is the yearly sunburn. The family ancestry is entirely Northern European, with very light skin that burns very easily. Knowing this I tend to carry sunscreen in my purse.

Last Sunday was the annual May Day festival thrown by the local puppet theater, On the Heart of the Beast. If you've never been and never seen photos check out their website. It is quite experience. They shut down a street for the pade which consists of: people on modified bikes, people in costume, people playing music on a wagon drawn by people on bicycles, children with puppets, and people of all ages dressed up and on stilts. It's a blast!

Plus, this year my friend brought along her giant bubble wands and special solution to make 3' bubbles. Yay bubbles!

Be excellent to each other!

No comments:

Post a Comment