Sunday, May 25, 2014

Perspective

Happy dancing elephants!

See that beautiful unblocked sweater?! The only steps left are blocking, buttons and seaming the armpits. HURRAH!

The last row was done right before the ball pit BBQ: and sadly the blocking room is the library, whose floor is still covered in brightly colored balls. I promise myself, it will be finished soon.

Cloudberry is also nearing completion. The sleeves were finally long enough to attach and yesterday I began the lace charts for the yoke. It's felt like an extremely long haul with this sweater, and I have to remind myself that I have been working on this sweater for a long time! I finished the first version of this sweater in January, took it apart and started over. That means this current version has been on the needles since February. Perspective, it's a good thing.

Two purl rows setting up for the lace.

Ah, perspective.

At 18 I chose to travel across country for college. It was a small school in Bar Harbor, ME called College of the Atlantic. I chose this school for no reason other than, I wanted to go to Maine and it sounded like a great place. (Most of my big life decisions are made this way ... And somehow life seems to work out.)

The location was idyllic. The student body was eclectic, dedicated and all around marvelous human beings. The friends I made were for life.

I remember being so happy.

This is the view from the lawn outside the house in which I lived.

Even when I was in a knee brace for 6 weeks in January.

Especially when we swam in bioluminescence in February. In the frigid cold ocean. Awesome.

Definitely when I would read and nap on the lawn right by the ocean.

 

Recently, I've felt like I did when I was 18.

Last week a friend asked if I was happy. This winter was incredibly hard. My marriage had ended and I was trying to reorient my life.

Now, yes, I'm happy. I've probably been telling people this too often. But in perspective, I'm so much happier that I have a hard time believing my life. I have to reaffirm with myself often that it is so good. There are wonderful people in my life. A group of friends that I really should call family.

Everything is in perspective. No injury has yet been as painful as appendicitis. Nothing has hurt so bad as a marriage ending. And no year was as bad as when I was 10-11.

I hope that you also find happiness.

Be excellent to each other.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment