Monday, September 30, 2013

Pattern writing ... The font of creative ideas and procrastinating

Tettegouche sample #1 is off the needles. The yarn for the final knit is chosen and started.
The photo is from knit group on Sunday morning. Behold the glory of coffee in the background.
Here's my checklists for Tettegouche and starting a test knit on time (two weeks):
  1. Select final yarn for test knit (for photography) -DONE
  2. Do another edit of charts for pattern. -DONE
  3. Begin writing the instructions and giving some sort of story to pattern. -DONE
  4. figure out how to change the orientation of pages within document - did it last time and totally forgot how it works.
  5. Finish writing chart section. -DONE
  6. Finish writing up the written section.
  7. Stop procrastinating on writing the written section.
  8. Advertise test knit.
  9. Coordinate with knitters.
  10. BEGIN!
So, the list is going well. The writing is begun, but the worst is yet to come.
I don't knit from written directions - I am a visual person and work from charts, all the time. Formulating the written section of the pattern is always the hardest and always includes the most mistakes. But it can be rewarding. Especially when I finish and it has no mistakes (after correction from the lovely testers).
The list of Tettegouche is begun. And today ... Today I fell into the trap that is "pretty shiny oh want!" that is a new idea for a pattern.
At Yarnover last year I bought one thing. Buttons. They are glorious, made from vintage linen they satisfy so many loves, recycling, antique things, pretty pretty fabric, and BUTTONS! The goal with these lovely buttons has always been to knit a lovely cardigan to accompany their awesomeness.
Today, while procrastinating on the Tettegouche list, I drew a pretty picture!
AND! With my beautiful buttons I plan to use my beautiful handspun cormo! Can't you just see it? Squish it? Smell the fresh and comforting aroma of handspun wool?
I can. And someday when I should be writing up Tettegouche I will be starting this sweater.

Be excellent to each other!

No comments:

Post a Comment