Sunday, October 6, 2013

No test anxiety involved

Shh. Testing is in progress. But no worries, no stress or anxiety involved because there are no right answers.

Or maybe there are right answers in knitting. I don't know: unless the answer is a knit '42.'

Finished the write up for Tettegouche last week and sent the call out for testers via 'the testing pool' on ravelry. A few preliminary findings:

  • Checking the charts over and over again before inserting them into the final document was a great way to save headache and extra editing in the end.
  • Remember: break at the section to change the direction of the pages for extra long charts (and it's okay to have to look up this formatting on google every time I write up a pattern)
  • Super cool trick: 'edit' choose find > replace - you can find certain text and replace it with other text. That m3 I decided should be written as k3into1 ... SO EASY TO CHANGE! This made editing the written section so much easier. I dread hunting through to find the mistyped stitch to replace it. I must have used this section 5 times already and I know I will use it again!
  • DO NOT post for testers on a Saturday morning. Lovely people did contact me and several are testing ... But if I shall be gone all day Saturday it means I can't respond to people until the following morning. Sadly this resulted in several ladies committing to other tests.

But the PDF is sent, and knitting shall commence. This is a fun time, I enjoy seeing the yarn that others choose and seeing the pictures as people post and compare. I've often had testers ask if they can change the weight of the yarn or size of the needles. This would only be a problem if all the testers made this change. When one person changes the specs of the pattern for their knit ... It is educational. It lets me know that the pattern works in different yarn weights. It helps in the decision of which needles to recommend or whether more notes are needed on a gauge.

While the test happens I have a simpler knit along with the second sample of Tettegouche. The new knit is buttonwillow in yellow. So of course I called it butterwillow. The testing is a fun phase stage of the design process and so a new fun knit is required.

Hope everyone else is also having fun.

Be excellent to each other!

No comments:

Post a Comment