Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Knitting tech

This week I am attending JNUC 2013, the international conference for users of JAMF and their Casper suite. In my day job I am moderately techie. I didn't major in comp sci, I don't do anything with the server and network. I make the iPad program run. I manage the software behind the scenes, deal with any problem apps/settings or breakages. Some of the talks at the conference are over my head. But that's what makes these fun (besides hanging out with 1,100 people that all love this work as much as I do). I LOVE learning. If I had enough money I would go back to school for another degree - and design full time. Those are compatible. Right?

Back to the title. I am a visual learner, and at conferences I need something to do with my hands. Luckily, I'm a knitter.

Hello, my name is purplbear and I knit.

I've been working on my butterwillow shawl at the conference.

See?

That was yesterday. Today I am about 6 rows from binding off. It's been the perfect project for a conference. Complicated enough that I like it, but with really short repeats and mostly knit and purl stitches that I can listen without thinking too much about what I am knitting.

Also today ... I met a fellow knitter from Seattle.

I have to admit, my clothing choices have been intentional. All days of the conference I am wearing hand knit shawls. Sort of like a badge or flag to meet new friends. "Here! Over here! I'm a knitter! Come talk to me! I'm approachable!" Knitting does make you approachable. You are making a thing that is filled with love and care for someone, how can you not be a nice person?

The knitter from Seattle was very nice. Sadly we didn't get much time to chat about our knitting. We are in sessions all day for the Casper suite that we all use in our day jobs.

But this coming April will be the knitter convention, YARNOVER! I love knitters.

 

Be excellent to each other!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment