Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Knitting cleaning ...

Theme of the week is cleaning ... And knitting.
Really, the theme of every week is knitting, and eating chocolate. But the chocolate part is given.
The reason the knitting theme is cleaning is because of a current project I've started for she spinning group I've joined.
Every month the 'Whorling Spinsters' meet at the textile center in Minneapolis. They spin, exchange news, share tips and projects ... And try joint experiments. This month spinners were encouraged to take home a sample of 'undesirable' fiber from a local sheep farmer. The farmer raises the herd for meat and was told that the fleece was not worth much. A member of the group is a friend and wanted to show him that the fiber is usable and very versatile - it just isn't super luxurious like merino.
So each spinner took a few ounces home to clean, card and bring back to report.
I used the soaking instructions from Deg Robson's the Independent Knitter. Here's my bit of fleece soaking in hot water inside a lingerie bag - kept it all together and from getting handled too much.
I soaked the fleece twice in hot water for 20 minutes each soak, and then 15 minutes in water with some dawn detergent (non-phosphate), another dawn soak, and a final 20 minute hot water soak to get out the last of the detergent. All told it was about an hour and a half of soaking and dumping water. The first batch was super brown and dirty. Each soak got progressively cleaner and now the fleece is a lovely cream color with bits of grass left.
So far my experience has been good. We'll see what it's like when I drum card everything next Monday.
I might even be brave and try to dye the whole thing before carding. As I won't dye it afterwards.
Also, I plan to spindle spin the whole thing instead of using my wheel. I hope to get a different feel for the fiber, especially with one I know won't be as slick and short as merino.

Remember last week, my lesson on dishcloths on a knitting machine - it went very well! I bought two extra cones of cotton to make dishcloths.
There they are! And they work fabulously! My housemates love them already! And I've got a set of 4 ready for an upcoming present. My only need left is to buy a humidifier. My apartment is so dry (with the heat on) that the yarn becomes like static cling and sticks to itself as it goes through the machine. This is making the machine do weird things and not make perfect little dishcloths.
So, I've cleaned a fleece and made things to clean my kitchen. All that's left is to actually clean.
Oh, if only that was as fun as knitting.
Be excellent to each other!

No comments:

Post a Comment